Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Inconsistent behavior data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are having trouble figuring out why some of our activity data is so inconsistent. We are trying to track a LinkedIn sponsored campaign [we did not attach a custom URL to this particular campaign]. The content we are sponsoring is hidden on our website, and only accessible by our LinkedIn campaign and an E-Newsletter. The following statistics all have LinkedIn as the Source; we are excluding our E-Newsletter stats. This is for a date range of Dec 7 - Jan 6

Here are various reports I've checked and some are different:

1. Acquisition > Referrals > LinkedIn + Custom Landing Page, it shows 464 sessions and an average session duration of 0:07.
  2. Acquisition > Channels > Social > LinkedIn + Custom Landing Page, it shows 467 sessions and an average session duration of 0:07.
  3. Behavior > Landing Pages > Custom Landing Page + Source=LinkedIn, it shows 464 sessions and an average session duration of 0:07
  4. Behavior > All Pages > Custom Landing Page + Source=LinkedIn, it shows 492 pageviews and an average time on page of 1:20

It is this last report that concerns me the most. I can see how the page itself would have more pageviews, if someone were to navigate throughout our site and then use the back browser button to return to the page. But it is the fact that the average time on page is 1:20 from the same Source, when the average session duration is 0:07.

Can someone explain this difference to me?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Logic P
January 2016

Re: Inconsistent behavior data

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

your first issue can be explained that the channel definition included 3 more sessions in the mix than the referrals report or LP report. So check the channels - what they report on using an additional 1 or more dimensions (standard or custom report and see which of these sessions made the difference (source / medium is the first choice)).

The other issue with avg. session duration and avg time on page can be attributed to how these 2 metrics are calculated - please read this for more info - http://help.analyticsedge.com/googleanalytics/misunderstood-metrics-time-on-page-session-duration/.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net