Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Incomplete AdWords Linking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I have had an alert come up on one of my clients GA accounts about receiving data from an unlinked Adwords account. I know how to link Adwords (when desired) to Google Analytics and how to unlink it but I've never come across this before. Where is the data coming from if I haven't linked an Adwords account or is this a glitch with GA that happens and can be rectified ?

I can't find anything on the communities other than the same message for GA accounts that do have Adwords link but are still getting this alert, whereas I don't have Adwords linked.

The alert is marked as red / urgent so I need to take action presumably. Any pointers on this would be appreciated.

The help topic link at the bottom only takes me to an article on how to link or unlink Adwords so isn’t very helpful.

Thanks

Here's the info provided by GA alert:

Incomplete AdWords Linking

First detected: Jul 25, 2016 6:10:14 PM

Last detected: Jul 25, 2016 6:10:14 PM

View All Web Site Data is receiving AdWords traffic from an unlinked AdWords account.

If Analytics receives data from an unlinked AdWords account, then that data is labeled (not set) in reports. Consequently, when analyzing these reports, you will not be able to attribute data to the correct AdWords account.

In order to have your views correctly receive AdWords attribution data, you need to link the appropriate AdWords accounts to your Analytics property, and then select views in which you want to be able to see the data.

To link AdWords accounts to your Analytics property, have the AdWords account owner click the Admin link in Analytics to get to the administrator settings page, click AdWords Linking in the Property column, and then either create a new link group, or edit an existing group and link the appropriate accounts.

To have views use the AdWords link, click Link Configuration in the same location and select the views in which AdWords data should be available.

Learn more: https://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=1033961&hl=en_US&utm_id=ad 

Re: Incomplete AdWords Linking

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark,
It could be a false alarm.I face similar situation in past and to ensure you can contact adwords support team.

Thanks

Re: Incomplete AdWords Linking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Santosh

Thanks for the info. I am now actually seeing some paid traffic being picked up in the reports so I think there must be a glitch somewhere. I will contact adwords support to see what they say as you have suggested.

Thanks
Mark