Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

In-Page Analytics does not show any data on urls with special characters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

one of our clients  struggles with In-Page Analytics.

In-Page Analytics shows values for all pages expect for those that have a special character in the URL (in this case a (R) ). The page report in Google Analytics shows that the pages are tracked correctly but In-Page Analytics fails to load the data (see attached screenshots).

My two questions:

1. Is there some magic trick to get In-Page Analytics to work for the historical data?
  2. Is there a best practice to get In-Page Analytics to work in the future without having my client need to change all is URLs (there are a lot of those)?

Thank you for your support!

In-Page AnalyticsIn-Page AnalyticsGoogle Analytics Content ReportGoogle Analytics Content Report

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In-Page Analytics does not show any data on urls with special characters

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Daniel,

I've never encountered that so I cant really help other than to say if you are using GTM it would be very easy to strip them out using a custom JavaScript variable - or you could do same in a filter but I always prefer to shape the hit rather than change it on the receiving end.

For historical data, you could simply use the navigation summary report or User Flow to see how the pages were accessed.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

thank you for your reply and pointing out alternatives.
I still would like to have a look at the historical data we generated over the last year.
If we change the URLs of all pages now (by a filter or whatever) that would mean, that we would not be able to have a look at the time-wise changes of the page usage. Which is.. a pitty.

Best
Daniel

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Daniel,

As long as you are collecting the data or that is, have it already collected you can use Navigation Summary or the User Flow report to see the usage.

Frankly, if the only issue is that in-page doesn't work for those links I would leave it alone and use the reports I mentioned for those pages. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn