Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

In-Page Analytics: Is there a way to make it work reliably?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Our company has been struggling to make use of In-Page Analytics for a while. We just recently enabled Enhanced Link Attribution in the hopes that it would make our IPA reports more useful. However, we can rarely get IPA to work as it is.

After paging through this discussion:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Reports/In-Page-Analytics-errors/td-p/482981

It seems like most people have problems using IPA In my experience, it works for some sites occasionally, some sites always, and some sites not at all. I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why it works in some cases and doesn't work in others.

I've tried solutions from the above thread, like clearing cache and cookies, making sure that my property URLs match my view URLs, and clicking on the shield to allow unsafe scripts. I've also tried using the Chrome Page Analytics Extension, with similar results.

Do people still use this part of GA successfully, and if so, how do you get it to work? If not, would it be best for me to just treat IPA as dead, and stick with the standard GA reporting tools?

Thanks,

Peter

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In-Page Analytics: Is there a way to make it work reliably?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Peter as you can tell by the other thread lot of users are having issues with this aspect of GA. I fall into the sometimes it works group, I do find however that some browsers work better at times than others so on my computer I have multiple versions of browsers IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and Edge. I keep cycling through them until I find one that works.
What is it that you hope to obtain from IPA there may be another way to gather that data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The thing we're interested in is: given three links from different positions on one page that all link to the same second page, which of those links performs better? I could certainly do this by putting unique codes in each of the links so as to track them manually, but the appeal of Enhanced Link Attribution is that we’d be able to do this type of analysis without having to modify each link that we want to track.

In addition, we also have people who find the WYSIWYG format of in-page analytics more compelling and easier to understand than looking at charts and tables. I agree that it’s a unique perspective on the data that you can’t get any other way, as far as I’m aware.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
That is what IAP is designed for, Unfortunately it is hit and miss on its execution maybe you can try different browsers and different time frames to see if you can get it to work. I wish I knew a fix but like you and so many others I have this same issue. I see you tried the chrome plug in and that did not give you any better results which is very disappointing since I am in the process of getting permission to add that to my Chrome browser for this same reason. Bummer but I will still see if it works for me.