Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Identify Facebook Traffic from Newsfeed vs Referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone! hoping you can help me out here with a question.

We are currently running Facebook advertising for a health related product and are currently tracking a variety of different digital tactics in analytics with goal completion tracking in place for all. For our Facebook paid advertising campaigns, we are running Newsfeed ads with UTM tracking codes to denote if someone clicks the ad and then completes a goal on the landing page.

With that said, we are seeing 40% of goal completions coming from REFERRAL traffic, specifically on Facebook. In addition to Facebook, we have patient advocacy groups posting about our product, sharing the link to our site with family or friends - etc.

So for example, we say 17 goals completed via UTM tracking codes for the Facebook newsfeed campaign. But saw 200 goals completed via Facebook referral traffic.

So my question is this - how relative is the facebook referral traffic to our newsfeed campaigns? Do the newsfeed ads contribute to referral traffic from Facebook or is it completely seperate? If some of the referral traffic is related to the newsfeed ads, is it possible to to determine specifically how much?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can provide any other detail as needed. Thanks!

Re: Identify Facebook Traffic from Newsfeed vs Referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If you're promoting those URLs only on Facebook, and you're not running the same links anywhere else, then you could just subtract the tracked conversions from the total conversions and then you would know what referral traffic was attributable to that ad.

Try to avoid using the same link for organic and paid traffic if possible.

Does that help?

Re: Identify Facebook Traffic from Newsfeed vs Referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I guess that is where the problem lies. We are using the same link for both organic and paid traffic.
With that in mind, is it safe to assume that only conversions coming from the UTM tracking codes for the newsfeed ads would be conversions coming from facebook newsfeed?