Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

I want to know if I am reading the URI's on my reports right

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My website is xyz.com

I have a landing page at http://v1.xyz.com/abc

As I started tracking my landing page first - I set up the default URL of my account as v1.xyz.com/abc in my Property Settings. Then I started tracking all the pages on the website with the same code. I did not alter the default URL and I have been collecting data with the same setting for a month now.

In my reports I see two URI's : / and /abc. I know a URI is the portion of the URL following the domain name.  But since I have messed up the default URL - will it change anything?

In this case, does / refer to xyz.com or v1.xyz.com/abc?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dwarak G
March 2016

Re: I want to know if I am reading the URI's on my reports right

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Dwarak,

The default URL setting in the web property does almost nothing. It powers the flyouts from the content reports; for example, if you click the icon next to a page in the content report that shows /abc it takes the value from the default url and then the URI in the content report, concatenates them and attempts to open the page so that you can see this page in a browser window.

This setting should just contain your domain so in your case it would be xyz.com (v1 if it's required to render all pages) and it's also used for in-page analytics, a neat report WHEN working. Other than that, it really does not do much so you could set it to whatever you like and the only impact would be the functionality I just mentioned would not work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The default page setting in the View Setting I'll mention here just in case someone is searching for that and gets confused between it and the property setting.

The default page setting (in the View Settings) is not one of my favorites. It's really for the case when your site is resolving your home page as, for example, / and also home.html or something like that. Really today, there is no need for that and you want your site to be as clean as possible without any duplicates.

The view setting also has some artifacts. Let's say, in your case you have it set to /abc (by the way, you don't want the host in there at all, just the URI (i) ) . What that would do would be to change your solitary slash to /abc but also any URI that had a trailing / would be appended with /abc as well. For example, if you have /products/shoes/ you would see /products/shoes/abc in your content reports.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Theo! That was very helpful. To summarise, I don't need to change anything. Only the flyout's in the content reports are not going to work for me

So I'm taking the numbers reported for "/ "as numbers relating to xyz.com/ &
the numbers reported for "/abc" as the numbers for v1.xyz.com/abc

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Exactly!

Best,

Theo
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn