Analytics
5.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

I got 99 problems and GA-Power BI API is every single one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I connected Google Analytics to the latest desktop version of Power BI pulling in data from our website and intranet. The website data in Power BI is about 5% off from what GA shows which is a margin we can live with; however, the data from our intranet is completely wacky; entire pages are missing and the data is completely off. I used the following dimensions for our intranet:

• Avg. time on page
  • Date
  • Page
  • Page Title
  • Unique pageviews
  • Users

When I connect GA to the browser version of BI, the website data is perfect (but only for the last 180 days) and the Intranet data is still completely wrong. Any ideas what is causing the data discrepancy? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

When you pull your data in your not doing any segments or filtering are you. I use power BI everyday and am not seeing any issues but I only pull data from non-filtered views and never apply any segments I do all that once I get the data over in power BI.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A T -Would sampling still be the culprit even if some unique pageviews listed are actually greater than what GA shows for a given time frame?

Brian - I am not segmenting or filtering the data until it's in PBI.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

It may be worth checking the implementation on your intranet - use tag assistant (particularly with the record function enabled) and GA debugger to check what is actually being sent. I'd be surprised if sampling were to result in entire pages not appearing in the reports (even with extreme sampling of the data you still usually get the dimension included). If entire pages are missing then they could simply be missing the GA script.   

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Once you verify your deployment try pulling in the following information

• Avg. time on page
  • Date
  • Page
  • Page Title
  • pageviews
  • sessions

Two of your metrics are actually filtering users only bring in unique users and unique pageviews filters even more and only brings in unique pages assigned to the unique users try casting a wider net and see if your results show up better and then filter to unique users and unique pageviews inside of power BI

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Carly D - hi! did you resolve this, there's a discussion at my work about using Power BI. I was wondering if you could share your thoughts on how useful it is, with regard to the presentation of GA data. How much flexibility does it have, for example, with regard to creating graphs, tables, new calculated metrics etc

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.