Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

I cannot find stats for a Custom Dimension (first and only one).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AIM
To count the number of times a Rental Property has been viewed.

THE SETUP
1. I am using UA code.
2. I have set up a CD (name 'PropertyID', Scope: hit, Active)

3. I am sending it like so...
ga('send', 'pageview', {
'dimension1': propNo
});

4. propNo contains the property # of the property that a user is viewing (I run a property rental website so please do not confuse my property usage with "UA Property".)

5. Using Chrome's GA Debug addon I can see the pageview being sent correctly.

6. In Reporting > Real-Time > Pageviews I can see the pageview come in.

7. I have NO FILTERING for this view.

QUESTIONS
1. Where can I see some stats for this CD in the plethora of non-custom reports.?

2. I have tried setting up a custom report for that CD. I select Results Pageviews as the metric and PropertyID as the Primary Dimension but get zero as the stat.

3. The only place where I have seen PropertyID as selectable is as a seconday dimenion in Custom > Custom Variables and Custom > User Defined but my understanding is that these 2 types are deprecated because they are related to the old Google Analytics and not Universal Analytics.

Thanks in advance.

Re: I cannot find stats for a Custom Dimension (first and only one).

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
HI
1. Where can I see some stats for this CD in the plethora of non-custom reports.?
--> In pre built reporting interface you can use your custom dimension as secondary dimension or use them in custom reports.

2. I have tried setting up a custom report for that CD. I select Results Pageviews as the metric and PropertyID as the Primary Dimension but get zero as the stat.
> Are you sure your CD is firing? can you confirm this with google tag assistant or by auditing your http requests?

3. The only place where I have seen PropertyID as selectable is as a seconday dimenion in Custom > Custom Variables and Custom > User Defined but my understanding is that these 2 types are deprecated because they are related to the old Google Analytics and not Universal Analytics.

>> you can use your CD as secondary dimension in pageview reports as well.

Dont you have property ID in the URL?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Re: I cannot find stats for a Custom Dimension (first and only one).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Point 2.
> Are you sure your CD is firing? can you confirm this with google tag assistant or by auditing your http requests?
100% being sent. See my points 5 and 6.

You said "Dont you have property ID in the URL?" yes but not always so cannot be used.