Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

I am getting traffic from a page that do not have any link to my site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have two websites, one is still in development and the other one is live. 

These two sites are similar but different. They both use Drupal. One is actually a duplication of the other. Dev site is for California and the live site is for Vermont. 

Some pages exist on both site but some are not. 

Analytics says my live site(Vermont) is getting traffic(referral) from my development site(California) which does not have a link to the live site. I may go back and force between these two sites, but not through a link. I may type url myself, or use previous and next page buttons of the browser.

and Analytics says there is a traffic on a page that does not exist on the live site(Vermont), but do exist on the development site(California).

For example

My live site do not have /es page, but Dev site has /es

Analytics says /es page got 60 page views in April from dev site(Referral)

When I checked page view count for /es at the live site using Drupal module, it says there is no pageview for /es page. That means /es pages have never actually been viewed but Analytics is somehow counting them. 

Can somebody explain this to me?

These two sites use different Analytics ids

1 Expert replyverified_user

I am getting traffic from a page that do not have any link to my site.

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Simon,

Try using hostname as a secondary dimension on your content reports so that you can see which domain is actually sending traffic to each.  Beyond that it's a simple tracking code deployment that you'll need to investigate based upon what the hostname reveals.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn