Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Huge increase in Bounce Rate after server migration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys! Have any of you experienced this and does anyone know how to fix it? We recently changed servers from a shared to a dedicated server and the bounce rate went from 5% to 89% and it seems like all of the page views have dropped by 1/3. I know there is something wrong with this because we've had consistent traffic for the past few years and the change happened from the day the DNS was pointing to the new server. Also, I look at the Real Time of visitors and it could be 20-25 and in the page views per second, it only shows 1 or 2 pages being viewed and I know they're all on different pages with only a few on the same page. VERY ODD! Any thoughts? Please help! Thanks so much! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Huge increase in Bounce Rate after server migration

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eden,

Please check first if the Google Tag Assistant Chrome extension can find any issues with your tracking tag.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...
Let me know what you find.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Arnold! It's Zan, Eden's hubby. Thanks so much for the quick reply! I ran the test and don't know exactly what I'm looking for but did notice it found "multiple tags" one is the correct analytics number and the other is one that's not even in our GA account. It looks like it's for a vimeo video maybe. I saw 2 GA tags and 1 publisher tag. Let me know what you think or if you want some code to check out. I wonder if switching servers maybe takes longer to GA to see all of the pages people are hitting? It's just odd that once we switched it went from 3-4 pages per visit to now 1 or 1 and half and the bounce rate is out of control but it seems like people are hitting the same amount and I don't think suddenly 90% of visitors are jumping for no reason. it's actually quicker now and a better viewing experience! Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

Is the correct analytics tag showing in green/blue? Are there any errors/warnings? Were there any changes in the URL structure after the move? If you can share your site URL I'd be glad to look into it for you to see if I can find any issues. Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Arnold! You're awesome. Thank you SO much for replying to these. Wow, I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere with this mystery haha I see one "floodlight" error and then I do see a warning for the correct GA code. It's in blue and it says there's some GA code found outside of <head> tag. The url for my wife's site is http://sugarandcharm.com Please keep me posted on your thoughts and if you can fix this, I'd love to paypal you some money for your help!! Thank you!!! Zan

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Zan,

I checked your site. You are still using the old classic analytics tracking code, it is recommended to upgrade to Universal Analytics. You need to remove the old code and to install the new code, it needs to be added before the closing head tag. You can either add the code to your Wordpress theme header file or install it using a plugin.
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/
Let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold!! You're amazing. We'll try this and keep you posted!!! Have an awesome weekend and thanks again! Zan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Arnold! Thanks again so much. Okay, so our developer said they fixed everything but I'm still seeing the whacked numbers. Can you please let me know if you're still seeing issues. It's super frustrating. Doesn't a 70% decrease in page views from last month right before we changed servers and a 4000% increase in bounces seem odd?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi,

The new code is fine but you still need to remove the old tracking code from the bottom of the pages.
Before the server move, did you track using the same property?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold! I just had him remove the old code, so we should be good there. Yes, we used that same GA to track that. I haven't changed where I log in or the account with the same code. So I'm still checking that same exact one and again, it's showing the same exact activity in terms of what I see for users on the site at the same time, but the bounce rate is almost 90% (compared to under 5 before the switch) and the pages per view is 1.2 compared to 3.5 or so before the switch. Would it be that GA isn't logging all of these other pages being viewed? I just don't think 90 of our users would bounce off and stop looking at an additional 2 pages per visit. Is there something I can ask our dedicated server host at Hostgator? Thank you again for your amazing help!