Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to view breakdown of utm_SOURCE for a group of pages?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to see where our traffic is coming from for people hitting a confirmation page of our ordering page.

But.... that page can "look" different (with different Parameters, etc.). Here's a screenshot (b/c Google forum always says "error" when I try to attach a photo here).

In the above case, there are only 5 variations, but there are sometimes MANY variations (10 to 20)

I want to see one ROW  that is then broken down by Source. (with the above I end up with 5 pages x 6 sources, or 30 rows to look at )

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrAnalogy
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I think you're asking a fair question and one that GA should be able to answer.

Why don't you try Content Grouping for these set of urls?

View solution in original post

Re: How to view breakdown of utm_SOURCE for a group of pages?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Perhaps you wanna add "Secondary Dimension" to the reports? https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6175970

Having said that, Never Never mix "Page" (hit level dimension) and "Source/Medium" (session level dimension) in same report. Use "Landing page" instead, also a session based dimension and goes well with "Source/Medium dimension).

Hope this clarifies!

Re: How to view breakdown of utm_SOURCE for a group of pages?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you explain a bit why you would't want to combine PageView and Session info in the same report?

If I consider a pageview  "valuable event" and I want to see where that originated, I'd do the above right?

I realize that pageviews might not COUNT as correctly as sessions, but is there any other reason for that?

And would creating a Goal for that pageview then mean the Goal is a Session level (i.e., only counts once per user or once per session)?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Mixing scopes is like mixing apples, bannanas, peaches and calling them all apples your counts will be wrong. GA uses four scopes if you are using e-commerce as foolows:

Scope and Precedence

Scope determines which hits will be associated with a particular custom dimension value. There are four levels of scope: product, hit, session, and user:

• Product – value is applied to the product for which it has been set (Enhanced Ecommerce only).
  • Hit – value is applied to the single hit for which it has been set.
  • Session – value is applied to all hits in a single session.
  • User – value is applied to all hits in current and future sessions, until value changes or custom dimension is made inactive.

see https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en#scope for more information.

You can set up page groups so that pages with different parameters can be counted together may want to research that and see if it will do what you are trying.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brian,

While I agree with the no-mixing metrics rationale, I think that this is a fair question in terms of:

'If this page is viewed, what source is driving the most views', as to answer the questions -> Is Facebook the biggest driver of views to this page?

GA should be able to answer that.

How would you about doing it?

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrAnalogy
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I think you're asking a fair question and one that GA should be able to answer.

Why don't you try Content Grouping for these set of urls?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, you might want to create a GOAL associated with that URL.

That way you can definitely which sources drove the most goals, at what rate, etc.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

So if you want to see where your traffic is coming from for a certain page using out of the box functions in the GA UI, I would start with Behavior-->Site Content-->All Pages I would then filter to the page or pages I wanted to know about, next I would then add a secondary dimension of one of the following (Referral Path, Traffic Type, Network Domian, Full Referrer, or Default Channel Grouping) or better yet analyze all of them and collect the data, once I had an idea of where it was coming from I would then look for additional reports that would allow me to drill down into the one or more dimensions above that gave me the greatest clarity for instance if Default Channel Grouping showed that most of my traffic to a page(s) came from Organic then I would in Acquisition--> All Traffic --> Channels to see what Organic could tell me and if possible filter on those same page(s) not always possible but this is how I would start.

Better yet I would export all this information and run it through a BI tool such as Qlik or Power BI both which have a desktop version that is free to anyone who wishes to download and utilize it and both of them can connect directly to GA, amazing what you can see when you use a BI tool and view the data via pivots, graphs, and other visualizations stories come out that you never would have seen.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I thought of Goal but

1. I have to decide it ahead of time.

2.  It's a somewhat complicated Reg Ex for multiple pages.

If Content Grouping doesn't work then I'll try that.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

That's perfect!