Analytics
6.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to track 404 errors in Google Analytics when there is no redirect to a single unique 404 page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a site where the 404 errors do not redirect to a single page. I believe this is relatively common situation for many sites; not all sites redirect to a standard singular 404 page. I cannot find any way to track the 404s in this situation in google analytics. I would like to know how many 404's there are for a period of time, and would like to be able to see the information in a report in GA, and find out what bad urls give the most 404s to my webpage users, and where those bad links came from.

I have not found any way to do this in Google Analytics.

Let me know if the question and scenario I am describing are clear.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ken T
September 2016

How to track 404 errors in Google Analytics when there is no redirect to a single unique 404 page

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ken,

Lunametrics has written a great article on how to measure 404 errors using Google Tag Manager: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/08/19/404-errors-google-analytics-google-tag-manager/

Have you already read that article? Smiley Happy

Is there anything consistent on the page that identifies it as an error? Does the page title or any other variable value change on the dataLayer if the 404 error occur?

Let us know how it goes.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

had not seen that article, I am checking it out. The 404's for one of my sites do have a unique title and your question prompted me to see if that would allow me to find just those pages (they all have different urls) via their title. and that worked. I will look into using tag manager for more.