Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to set-up a case filter for Campaign parameters

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have a few campaigns running, but on a few we've used a different case for the utm_medium (same word but different letter cases)

How do I set-up a filter for Campaign Medium on our views for example?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to set-up a case filter for Campaign parameters

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi D Liley,

First I would not recommend mixing cases. It's best to set a lowercase filter for source and medium. That is there really is no benefit of having cost per click as CPC and also cpc,

That said, if you create a custom filter based on campaign medium you can select the case sensitive checkbox and that should work for you.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi

What happened is we started off using Capitalisation for the first letter of words in all parameters, then we switched to lower case which means we now have this conflict

I've gone to set-up a filter for the medium ...

Just to confirm I'm doing this correctly.

Filter Type: custom
Exclude
Filter field: campaign medium
Filter Pattern: Referral
Tick case sensitive

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi DLiley,

The lowercase filter, should you choose to add one, will prevent this from happening again. Now to answer your question (inline):

Filter Type: custom // yes
Exclude // If you want to exclude this traffic, then yes exclude
Filter field: campaign medium //yes this corresponds to utm_medium
Filter Pattern: Referral // if this is what you are trying to, in this case, exclude then yes
Tick case sensitive //yes

I ALWAYS recommend testing all include/ exclude / advanced filters in a duplicate testing view first. Once all is verified as working correctly; you can use the filter settings in account admin to add it to your analysis views.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Theo

I think I'm getting a bit confused here. I don't want to exclude any traffic, I just want Analytics to treat for example Medium 'Email' and Medium 'email' as the same (both historically and moving forward) in the reports.

Will the above give me that?

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Dlilely,

The filter will only work moving forward. You used exclude in your reply, hence my inclusion of it as well. The only thing you can do here is add lowercase filters. I would add them for campaign source, campaign medium and request URI. That will keep your campaign and content reports clean moving forward but there is no way to reprocess data already collected.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn