Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to see URL parameters in referral data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we cannot see our url parameters in the referral data, is there some way to see that data that we're missing or a custom report, etc that we need to set up to see that data?

Example, we have a dynamic page that shows different content depending on the "id" in the url (home.asp?id=3), which links to "page2.asp".  In the referral data of "page2.asp" we would like to see the amount of pageviews that come from each "id" - how can we see that data?  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Just a guess here but you might want to create a custom report and look at adding previous page path to see if it shows up. Another thing to look at would be refferal path or full referrer and see if either of them show you what your looking for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Brian for the response.  I've tried looking at the referral path and full referrer data in the Behaviors > Site Content > All Pages view but parameters do not appear in that data.  I also can't seem to get the data in a custom report. 

One thing though I should have mentioned in my original post, is that the referrer data would be from a different site/domain.

Example:

domain1.com/home.asp?id=1

domain2.com/page2.asp

So we would like to look in GA for the stats of domain2.com/page2.asp and get the full URL referrer data from domain1.com including parameters.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Are they using the same GA code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, they use different GA code.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

In your admin view settings are you excluding any URL Query Parameters?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, that textbox is empty in my settings.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

That is a wierd issue when I go into GA then navigate to Acquisition-->All Traffic-->Referrals and add a secondary dimension of Page I see all my page parameters ?id=, &lang=en-US, ect.

I can then filter to the single or set of referrals that I want to view and my parameters remain.

One last admin setting to check in the Admin --> Views section do you have the box checked that says "Strip query parameters out of URL" this checkbox should only affect search queries but I do not have it checked so I have neber tested how it might affect other parameters.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it definitely is weird.  I checked and I do not have the "Strip query parameters" box checked either.

Just curious, in your GA, do you have a filter that makes it show the full url with parameters?

I'm asking because I managed to find an article online saying to do what I want, I needed to create a filter, the filter was set up as:

Advanced

Field A: Referral (.*)

Field B: left blank

Output: User Defined $A1

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

No I do not filter out or add anything to the data, in fact I am rarely ever in the GA UI I pull back my data everyday via automated refresh in various BI tools that I have at my disposal. I have lots of choice that I can use I work for a very big organization and that can spend lots of money for me to test various software packages. So all my views are unfiltered and I do all the filtering in my desktop or enterprise software.

I have seen that document before but would have to relocate the link for review I did not commit to memory. Worth a try to see if it does in fact resolve your problem. If it does post back here with the link.