AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to register a prefix in a customer's name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Google Analytics team!

We're a service provider. Since taking on a new customer, we're receiving complaints that in Google Analytics now the "Service Provider" field is returning our name instead of the company's name, whereas before it was the company's name. A SWIP did nothing.

Where can we register the company's name for this prefix so Google Analytics will return them as the "service provider" for it?

Thanks for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael F
August

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

I'm not sure that I fully understand their motivation, but one solution would be to create a filter which rewrites the name of the service provider. ISP organisation exists as a filter field in GA so you should be able to accomplish this. Test this first in a test view, and make sure you have an unfiltered back up view as well.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Re: How to register a prefix in a customer's name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

If someone could please look into this for us, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Can someone please help with this?

Thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone please answer this question for us?

Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Remember this is a public forum, rather than an official channel to Google - answers can be, unfortunately, a little slow to appear! ;-)

The service provider field is the name of the ISP used by visitors to the site. Usually it's a long list of all the service providers visitors are using, is your name the only service provider shown or is it one amongst many? Does the client in question still have their own service provider? 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John!

Thanks for your help with this. Smiley Happy

Our name is one service provider among a list of them. We're the upstream service provider for them, but the client wants their company to be listed as the "service provider" in the Analytics results instead of our name. Any ideas on what the typical process is to follow for something like this?

Thank you!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael F
August

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

I'm not sure that I fully understand their motivation, but one solution would be to create a filter which rewrites the name of the service provider. ISP organisation exists as a filter field in GA so you should be able to accomplish this. Test this first in a test view, and make sure you have an unfiltered back up view as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, John!

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

No worries - happy analysing!