Analytics
4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to read my % of total sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My question is about the percentages. I get a report that is passed on to me by the university that handles our website along with many others. If you look below it says, for example, 525 views (% of total 0.06% (821,166). Not sure what this means. Extremely unlikely that we had over 800,000 views. On the top  right it says "based on 30.11% of sessions." I don't have access to any other data besides what they give me - see the picture where it says go to this- can't go there, don't have the permissions. So how can I read this? Were there 525 views? 1500? 800,000? Thanks!

analytics report.PNG

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Jon A,

Google analytics sample your data when data set reach more than certain limit. Based on 30.11% of session is result of that sampling, it helps speed up processing for reports when the volume of data is so large that it might result in slowing down report queries.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en

Huge difference in number might be because GA was unable to attribute all session to particular device.

hope this help, follow us on @MarketLytics

kind regards

Noman Karim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the explanation and the article reference.

It still is not clear to me: is the 525 number actual sessions, or is that number a sub-sample of another number?