Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to read Cohort analytis chart?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cohort chart has dates on rows and days on columns.

How and what to read in this chart?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kedar G
August

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Kedar, 

The Analytics Cohort report is a report that "Cohort analysis helps you understand the behavior of component groups of users apart from your user population as a whole." 

What does this mean? It allows you to take your audience (feel free to segment for greater accuracy and perspective) and dig into issues like: 

- How much longer are people coming back to your website after completing a goal.

- How many page views will your audience on average continue to visit over time a period of time you've designated. 

There's some key settings here you need to look at: 

- Cohort Type: At the moment its only "Acquisition Date" - Acquisition date is actually when you received a newly recognized user, it does not have anything to do with conversions. 

- Cohort Size: Select either day/week/month - 

-  Date Range: Date range is actually dynamic and depends on what you select for your cohort size. If your cohort size is by Day it will go up to 30 days. if you choose a month, the date range will go up to 3 months. 

- Metric: Perhaps the most important thing to look at. Here you decide what you what to analyze. Is it 'Page Views Per Viewer'? , 'user retention' ? or 'sessions' , etc, etc. there are many metrics to choose from. 

Let me know if this helps answer your question! 

Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6158745?hl=en

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kedar G
August

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Kedar, 

The Analytics Cohort report is a report that "Cohort analysis helps you understand the behavior of component groups of users apart from your user population as a whole." 

What does this mean? It allows you to take your audience (feel free to segment for greater accuracy and perspective) and dig into issues like: 

- How much longer are people coming back to your website after completing a goal.

- How many page views will your audience on average continue to visit over time a period of time you've designated. 

There's some key settings here you need to look at: 

- Cohort Type: At the moment its only "Acquisition Date" - Acquisition date is actually when you received a newly recognized user, it does not have anything to do with conversions. 

- Cohort Size: Select either day/week/month - 

-  Date Range: Date range is actually dynamic and depends on what you select for your cohort size. If your cohort size is by Day it will go up to 30 days. if you choose a month, the date range will go up to 3 months. 

- Metric: Perhaps the most important thing to look at. Here you decide what you what to analyze. Is it 'Page Views Per Viewer'? , 'user retention' ? or 'sessions' , etc, etc. there are many metrics to choose from. 

Let me know if this helps answer your question! 

Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6158745?hl=en

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’