Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to monitor ad placements for a specific Source / Medium? - Quality audit on your agency.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I outsource some of our digital marketing activities, and I was trying to figure out how can I monitor/ensure that the agencies, affiliates and partners who use UTMs and correct source / medium URLs are placing the ads of our brand in proper places.

Example, what if we named a source / medium as Brand / Mike - How can I know where did Mike post that link? or where does that traffic originate from? as source/medium are different from referrals, I've tried to set the secondary dimension as "Placement URLs" under Acquisition > All Traffic > Source / Medium.
The result is always 0 or not set, no matter where I can track it from, I would be satisfied just by knowing at least the domain the traffic comes from - If there is no way of doing it, how can brands ensure their agencies don't use ad networks or sites that damage their brands?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to monitor ad placements for a specific Source / Medium? - Quality audit on your agency.

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Karim,

This really depends on the newtwork on which they are placed. For example, with AdWords and Bing there are ways to dynamically pass this information into one of your utm parameters. AdWords has valueTrack:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

For other networks, you'll have to rely on the companies that are running this to try to give you this data - which is not always available. BTW your utm source should typically be the platform or site if it's a direct buy e.g. google (for all of AdWords including display) and nytimes.com if you bought a direct placement and your medium should be something google expects like cpc, cpm, email, etc. otherwise your channel groupings are going to need tweaking or everything will fall into "other". For display you could use the utm_term for the site placement (if available - like value track data) or append into utm_content; one of these fields (term or content) or even utm_campaign could also be used to append vendor data. For example when we are in the same scenario as a vendor we typically prepend the campaign name with MV (which is an abbreviation for the name of the company for which I work).

Hope that helps.

Best.

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: How to monitor ad placements for a specific Source / Medium? - Quality audit on your agency.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your response, that's exactly the problem - most of what you written I am aware of, however what I am saying there is nothing preventing the agency from using the same utm and use it elsewhere, the question was mainly on how to audit the agency's credibility.