Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to handle removed pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a site which had a significant number of static web pages that have been removed over time. The visits for those pages are still registered in statistics though and make it harder to quickly get information on the still existing (relevant) pages. What would be the most natural way to deal with this? I was wondering if it is possible to remove certain pages from the GA statistics for the site, but I didn't find any information on this so I suspect this is not how analysts go about this issue?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to handle removed pages

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
You have a couple of options, first you can not get rid of data unless you want to start all over with a new account.

But you can segment your data as one option in this case you would create a new custom segment and use the following Filter by Users Exclude where Page exactly matches /pageonegone.html and keep adding to the list by clicking on OR and repeat until you have entered all the pages you want to exclude. (For /Pageonegone.html put in the actual page URL minus the http:www.yuorsite.com portion) (Note: Segmentation is the better of the two methods much safer)

Your second option is to utilize filters in order to do this you will want to create a new view as you never want to apply a filter to your RAW data, and it would be the same basic steps. On your new View go to Admin --> View --> Filters create a new filter of Filter Type Custom make sure the Exclude radio button is choosen and this time you would have to use Page Title (note: if you have current pages you want to count that have the same title as what you want to filter out then stick with segments)

If unsure which method to use or how to create a new view then stick with segments it is more flexible and much safer.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer,

going in and manually entering the pages and creating a complete list by clicking OR isn't feasible in our case, because this is a huge organization and we are talking thousands of pages that may have existed for some temporary time before it was decided that it should be moved or deleted. I believe the same problem happens with the filter option as I don't see any simple rule to identify those pages.

I read somewhere that one can delete old statistics in the paid version of Analytics, but since we are using the free one, that is not an option either.

I think I will just stick to the obvious solution of not taking the low hit pages seriously when selecting a long time period, and mostly just stick to selections of say a few months back (instead of years).

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I keep a running spreadsheet and update it every month this way I am only reporting data that is current and not getting those old pages. It also allows me to do more calculations that GA does not do that individuals are interested in when I have to go before them and report trends such as minimum, maximum, median, average pages per user, ect. I never report from GA only from my spreadsheet and by incorporating pivot tables and can change the view very quickly from say year to fiscal year or compare qrt1 2013, qrt1 2014, qrt 1 2015, and qrt 1 2016 to show growth or decline trends I add an extra field for comments so I know what transpired during the time frames should an ananomaly get noticed and needs to be explained I have all the raw data and it makes for a very good presentation when you can answer questions on the fly and show the data.