Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to get the click data from GA reports

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Is there a way to get the number of clicks made on all the links in a web page as a report in GA ?. We can see this # of clicks in the inpage analytics. To get this data I'm currently going to the navigation summary to see whats the next page the user visits after the home page to get the clicks data / manually enter the clicks data for the home page. Its would be really helpful to get this in page clicks in a excel file.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to get the click data from GA reports

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You can use the free Google Analytics add-in from AnalyticsEdge.com to download the data. Make a query where the Fields are Page and Pageviews, with a Filter where Previous Page Path equals '/' ( or whatever your home page is).

Next Page Path is deprecated and does not actually give the next page...which is why it is deprecated (soon to be removed). If you want to read more about that, you can read the article about Misunderstood Metrics here:
http://www.analyticsedge.com/2014/09/misunderstood-metrics-next-page-path/
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks so much Mike. Google just tracks all the links in the page and not by element right ? Eg. I have an about us link in the top menu and another about us link the a drop down box and a about us link in the footer of the page. So I get the click or the pageview for about us page (where the previous page to about us is our home page), But I do not know if the user clicked the top menu or the drop box or the footer link to get to the about us page using GA. Do you have any suggestions for this ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Have a look at triggering events on links - you could trigger a 'topmenu' event and a 'footer' event when those links are clicked. They all come from and go to the same pages, but you would have some visibility to the number of times the menu or footer was used.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.