Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to get full url for referral path, not just relative url

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

go to Behavior > Site Search > Search Terms
add secondary dimension of Acquisition: Referral Path

this will show a relative url (example /ken/page) in the Referral Path column of the report. If that is a link from some other website, I have no idea where it is because I only have the relative url.

How do I get google analytics to tell me the FULL URL of the referral path?

thank you,

-Ken

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to get full url for referral path, not just relative url

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
The report in question Behavior-->Site Search-->Search Terms is only looking at searches performed on your site using your search application. This is not data for searches done in Google, Bing or any other external search engines. So your referral path would be your URL added to the example you provided.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ken T
May 2016

Re: How to get full url for referral path, not just relative url

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
the searches are just url name value pairs, so can be passed in from somewhere else,
even google works this way, I could have a link on my site to run a query on google:
https://www.google.com/#q=full+referrer

I did find a secondary dimension called FULL REFERRER which has the full url. so that is the answer to my question., This is currently listed under Behavior: Full Referrer when adding a secondary dimension. Until google decides to change it, move it or remove it. Smiley Happy