Analytics
6.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to find reason for sudden traffic loss?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks,

Website traffic has been dropped suddenly yesterday. I have checked that there is no multiple tracking code on our site. How to find where the visits has decreased in Google analytics?

Please help me out.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

First, Check that you are using the correct view, and that you have no segments in place on the view your are looking at. Also, post a link to your site here so that forum members can take a look.

Also, how big is the drop? Is it out of character with normal fluctuations you have seen on your site?

Two main reasons why you may be losing traffic:

- error with your implementation (i.e. the drop is not real)

- external issues (i.e the drop is real)

Error with your implementation.

- check that your code is working correctly, begin with a tool like GA debugger or tag assistant

- check that your code is still on all pages, use a tool like screaming frog to audit this

- check with your developers if any changes have been made to the website, sub-domains or payment sites

External factors.

- check if the drop is across all traffic mediums. If the drop is over all, then this does point towards a technical error. If the drop is only restricted to one or two mediums then check what these are and investigate what the issue could be - this could be, for example, a CPC campaign suddenly stopping or the site losing ranking for organic search.

- check to see if certain pages are no longer receiving traffic as landing pages. If so, this could point to either a drop in organic or a campaign stopping. However, it could also mean that you are no longer being targeting by spam.

- was the original traffic spam? Check to see if your bounce rate has increased or if a large number of visits from direct - with a high bounce rate and low number of page views - has dropped.

Hope this helps....

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Thank you for your answer.

Website traffic loss was at organic search. I have checked what you had mentioned above. There is no change on webmaster tool and keyword position. Site traffic on 5/2/16 is 18k and yesterday traffic was 6k. 

Is there any way to solve this issue?

My website url: https://goo.gl/dZXoik

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Remember that the webmaster tools data is not in sync with GA, and the last two days is usually missing. 

Ok - check to see if there was an increase in direct traffic at the same time as you lost organic. This would suggest something happening to visitor cookies. Is there a sudden increase in new visitors?

Take a look at organic medium, using a segment, and then check your landing page report. Compare this too before you had a drop and see if any pages are showing a significant drop in visits; is it all or just some? Is this change affecting new visitors or returning visitors as well?

Have you made any changes to the site?

You basically need to confirm that the issue is not with your tracking code. If you see drops of traffic to some, but not all of your landing pages, drops in new visitors then this would suggest something has happened to organic search.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.