Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to find out the number of shares done without using social media buttons?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The most common way I, as a user, share content is by copying and pasting the URLs I'd like to share.

I am wondering if there's a way to actually track this type of sharing in Google Analytics?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Salina

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Short answer - no.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

By adding camapig camapign parameter to the url.

Search for campaign tracking.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@A T, your reply begs two questions:

1 - How will you dynamically add campaign parameters to URLs on page load?

2 - How will you do #1 without generating a new session?

If I'm not mistaken, @Salina P wants to track instances of URL copying from the browser.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Adding campaign parameters dynamically is not hard if you are a programmer and have access to the code, you could simply create a varible and have it append to the URL's but most people are not programmers or have accesss to the code. The problem is that even you were to add the campaign parameters to the URLs there is no guarentee that an individual would include them in the copy and paste they do I for one strip them, but that could just be me.

The short answer of No still holds if looking for 100% solution but Yes if you just want an estimate, but before I would go down the route of doing so what are you trying to determine by doing so their may be a better way to filter your data to obtain the answer your looking for. How many times someone(s) share a URL does not offer much insight but how many pageviews, hits, and sessions are generated might.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Brian B - Correct re. adding parameters dynamically, however the utm params will trigger a new session and potentially override the original source of traffic.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

UTM's in and of themselves should not generate a new session unless they are coming from an external source but if added to a page within your website they should get counted in the origional session. I use UTM's throughout my site to track videos that get played and documents that get downloaded, pop-up cards we have that we call meta cards and my sessions are not inflated nor are my pageviews or any other metric. So while you can have UTM's start a new session it is only if they come from an external source, internally they are no different than an event.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

It could be the case as long as you pass your site domain as utm_source value since it's been excluded as a referral in the exclusion list. utm tracking overrides document.referrer.

Also, updates to any utm value might trigger a new session - though I'm not sure what the behaviour is when utm_source value is the same as document.referrer.

"Every time a user's campaign source changes, Google Analytics opens a new session."

"Each search term updates the campaign, so each keyword corresponds to a new session."

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en 

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

I agree UTMs are not preffered for tracking internal traffic they would be better off using events, campaigns are complicated when used internal and if care is not taken you could have wierd totals.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

I'm not even sure how GA would behave if utm_source with a value of your site was passed as I've never tested or done it. My previous point  - "It could be the case as long as..." - was merely speculative. I'd certainly avoid using utm tracking internally.

Cheers!