Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to explain this? Unique pageviews.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Please I need your help. I have read many explanations about this but still I can't understand something. I understand that unique pageviews for a page can be equal or higher than sessions for that same page. But here is what I don't understand :

In my channel report, the total of sessions for all channels is 28 950 for a specific period of time.

For the same period of time, in a page report, the total of unique pageviews for all pages is 31 103.

I am unable to explain why the totals are not the same, because all the unique pageviews must result in at least one session each, no?

I can understand that it differs for individual pages, but for the whole total? How is it possible that a unique pageview does not result in a session automatically? Help please! I am being asked to explain this and I can't.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Valérie K
May

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Valerie,

That's normal because if user visits the same specific page more than once during in a single session, the unique pageview is counted as 1 for that particular page.

Let's say user visited your pages during the session as following: Page A -> Page B -> Page A

In this case, user have 2 unique pageviews and 3 total pageviews and 1 session. 

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Valerie,

You are attempting to compare "apples and oranges".

Users have sessions, sessions have a collection of activity that could include multiple page views.

The channels report could have these tabs: Summary, Goal set(s), Ecommerce.  All of these show sessions.  

The Site Content reports show pageviews.   Those pageviews occur during the sessions you viewed in the Channels reports.

In other words one is a collection of the other; pageviews happen in sessions (@Güney K already deftly explained pageviews to unique pageviews).    It would be more obvious if you had a higher number of average pageviews per session.  e.g. 28,950 sessions and 301,000 pageviews.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One user logs in and visits 2 pages, you have one unique session and two unique page views