Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to distinguish new actual users to my site vs our customers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i do marketing for a business software site where we have hundreds of clients and each account has on avg 100 users. I am having a very challenging time to attempting to figure out the real number of unique traffic that our site receives (trying to filter out our customers). **(what's creating the issue is that we have thousands of user accounts where our users log-in via our site to access our app/platform). 

For marketing purposes of course i am trying to figure out how many real users come to our site per day. Should i just use the TOTAL # of new users for our site for a specific date range or should i add up new users for each page?

Would love help with this! 

Christian

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

New user = user with session count=1. Adding up those gives you a subset of the number of users.  Users metric with any dimension in the report can produce duplicate counting, so do not TOTAL a user count in any report (total of users / day is not the same as number of users for the week).  For the date range, grab the Users metric off the audience overview report.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: How to distinguish new actual users to my site vs our customers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! So a new user for the selected date range is not a "new lead" or someone's first ever visit per se, it's just saying that this visitor for the date range visited once & the returning users are just visitors that had multiple visits during the selected date range.

Sent from my iPhone
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No, sorry, I should have worded that better...it would be a 'new lead', but it could be over-counted. Session Count is a counter for all visits to a website by that user (assuming the same browser and never clearing cookies). There are all kinds of reasons why the counter would reset, so it is very probable that returning users are seen as new users from time to time. It is not an accurate count.

If you have logged in users, it may be possible to track a user id in a custom dimension, and you could use that to determine how many new users you really have.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.