Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to determine if my site has been down

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I'm having an issue with 1and1 and the shared windows hosting package they provide me with.  

Recently i've noticed that users visiting my page from the www.3d-illusions.co.uk have been getting error:

Access to the path 'D:\temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\5db674a5\e3beef36\hash\hash.web' is denied.

I hadnt noticed the error myself, as I normally visit from the full address including the page name, such as www.3d-illusions.co.uk/index.html, which has been working fine.

Is it possible to find how long this has been happening via google analytics?

Cheers

Michael.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to determine if my site has been down

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Michael,

I'm not seeing any errors when I visit either link you provided (http://www.3d-illusions.co.uk/, http://www.3d-illusions.co.uk/index.html). Can you provide more details about this error, and include a screenshot?

If the error prevented the page from loading at all, then it may be possible to see when GA went down, but if the error didn't affect GA, then you wouldn't really be able to see when the error started happening.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky, thanks for coming back to me. The site is working now, but 1and1 are claiming they have no way of telling how long the site has been down, which seems odd to me..you'd have thought their error logging would hold more info.

But anyway. Here's the full error I was receiving.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Access to the path 'D:\temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\5db674a5\e3beef36\hash\hash.web' is denied.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\5db674a5\e3beef36\hash\hash.web' is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6 and IIS 7, and the configured application pool identity on IIS 7.5) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET access to a file, right-click the file in File Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\5db674a5\e3beef36\hash\hash.web' is denied.]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) +217
System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) +1305
System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) +66
System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost) +73
System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost) +124
System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding) +22
System.Web.Compilation.StandardDiskBuildResultCache.SavePreservedSpecialFilesCombinedHash(String hashFilePath, Tuple`2 hash) +82
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.AfterPreAppStartExecute(Tuple`2 currentHash, Tuple`2 cachedTopLevelFilesHash) +294
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ExecutePreAppStart() +198
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +521

[HttpException (0x80004005): Access to the path 'D:\temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\5db674a5\e3beef36\hash\hash.web' is denied.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +9932052
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +101
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +254

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34280

I'm guessing I cant tell exactly when the site went down, as google analytics may not have been hit as the page wasnt loading at all possibly.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
All that information should be captured in the event logs a quick parsing of the log files should tell you when it went down. Just my opinion but I suspect your hosting company does not want you to know how long it was down.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I suspect your right Brian. It's 1and1, and basically they've said that it's my responsibility for not letting them know that the site was down...

They've kinkdly offered me 3 months free, which isnt so good, as when comparing visitor stats on their system when compared to google analytics, it appears the site went down 5 months ago.....plus they offer everyone 3months free when taking out the package they're suggesting for me :s

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi, Michael, that's rather unfortunate. Is there no recourse for you in dealing with your provider? If not, the I would even start exploring other providers that may offer better support.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well the problem is Nicky, 1and1 offer the best package I'm able to find, plus I have all of my emails with them which i'm not sure i'm able to backup and move to another provider. I think i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and accept there's nothing I can do about it other than accept their offer.

It's really annoying though, as during the period the site has been down, my business has dramatically taken a downturn with hardly any new clients coming in. I just wished i'd have checked my site from the main url rather than affixing the page name, then i'd have spotted the problem earlier.