Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to delete multiple segments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Really quick question (and I hope its a simple answer!), I have hit the limit of segments within Google analytics and as such I need to remove some of the segments I no longer need - quite a few were set up ad hoc when looking into data. I can see I can delete them within the reporting tab and in the admin section but only one at a time. Is there anywhere I can delete multiple segments at a time, there are over 1,000 segments so I am hoping I can delete multiple segments at a time. If not this is a rather large oversight with regards to segments!

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to delete multiple segments

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

I'm afraid that there is no really fast way to delete them. I think the fastest way is to go in segments admin under 'personal tools and assets' in your Analytics view and make your deletions there.

Christoph

Re: How to delete multiple segments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm that's a shame, I guess I will need to block out my diary for a few hours to sort the segments out, I honestly didn't think that there would be a limit on the number of segments or indeed if there were it would be a much greater number!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I have the same issue now but I think what we should keep in mind from now on is when you save a new segment you should change the segment availability and apply it for only for that view.

A great part of the segments do not make sense to have them in every GA account.

Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't have that many views on the property, I basically only use 1 of the views for all reporting so even if the segment was set to one view it would still max out the number - I am working on culling them manually.