Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to create new view with historical data from RAW DATA view?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

How do I import historical/raw data when I create a new view? (The RAW view already has months worth of data)

Thank you,

P

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
April

Re: How to create new view with historical data from RAW DATA view?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Philip
Unfortunately, you can't. It's not possible in GA to see historical data in a new view.
Your best bet for this is to use a segment on your raw view and/or create a new view (or two) with data populating from today so that you have something to work with in the future.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
April

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Philip
Unfortunately, you can't. It's not possible in GA to see historical data in a new view.
Your best bet for this is to use a segment on your raw view and/or create a new view (or two) with data populating from today so that you have something to work with in the future.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Dave.

I am trying to filter out all "internal" ip/users from the existing/historical raw data. Is this possible through segmenting? (Seems like filtering only works on a going forward basis)

Thank you!

Phil

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Unfortunately IP address is not segmentable. The closest you can probably get is network /network location if your IP addresses were assigned in a block by your ISP.

IP ADDRESSES are not collected in reports so they're not something that GA can even segment by. Sorry that's not the answer that you're looking for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Dave!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
For real? What a major oversight by Google. What is the point of creating a new view if you can't use the historical data? I need to filter out bot spam, but the new view I created is entirely useless if I don't have data to compare it to. Are there technical reasons why they can't just duplicate the data, or is Google intentionally trying to hinder our ability to use their software? Ridiculous. If Google had any customer support channels I might complain, but as with all their projects, customer feedback just goes into the void.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Still there is no resolution, we are in the End of 2017. Thanks @Adam G, you have spoken my mind. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. No IPs because they are against GDPR and privacy

2. I have been searching, but no way to import historical data at all. I am migrating to GA and would like to import the last years data if possible. From what I see, not possible.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here