Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to create a content group for a homepage?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone, 

I have created a content grouping in Google Analytics that has been configured using the rules method. I have based it on the top level navigation of my site. Here are the groupings that i have created with the rules i have specified:

• Dresses (Page > Contains > /dresses)
  • Accessories (Page > Contains > /accessories)
  • Shoes (Page > Contains > /shoes)
  • Tops (Page > Contains > /tops)
  • Skirts (Page > Contains > /skits)
  • Pants (Page > Contains > /pants)
  • Swimwear (Page > Contains > /swimwear)

Now i wanted to create another content group that captures just my homepage. I have tried a number of different methods to capture just my homepage but to no avail. Here is what i have tried:

• Using the rules method i added the following rule (I put it in first place, and then to last place to see if it worked - it didn't!) Page > Contains www.example.com.au/
  • Using the rules method again i added the following rule (Page > Contains > www.example.com.au and Page > Contains > /) (I also put this in first place, and then to last place to see if it worked - it didn't!)
  • Using the extraction method i created a regex capture group to capture the homepage only but that did not work either.

Basically, i want to create a content group for my homepage that does not affect the other groups i have already established, and only collects homepage data. 

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to create a content group for a homepage?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Help P,

Have you tried using "exactly matches" and then "/" for the value? This would capture only those pages that have exactly "/" in the URI.

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Help P
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Help P.

I agree with Nicky Y, this should solve your problem.

If it will not, cosider such regex scenario:
Google Analytics, by default, calls your homepage this: /
Just a slash and every single URL on your website has slash in it. But you don't want to include all your pages in a content group, right? Smiley Happy And if you will just put a $ sign it will still include pages like yourwebsite.com/men/ so it's better to enrich your / with beginning and ending anchor. So just try ^/$ and it should work.

Good luck with your optimization.

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nicky Y and Alexey C,

Based on your recommendation to use "Exactly Matches' / this solved the problem! Apologies to Nicky, i accidentally marked Alexey's answer as the best answer when it was supposed to be yours. However, i appreciate you both providing me with useful information!

So thank you for all of your help!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Help P, glad to hear you fixed your problem. Hey, don't worry about who got the best answer - as long as you have been helped!

Nicky
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn