Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to breakdown products by mobile device using dataLayer variable set in GTM?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're doing ecommerce tracking via Tag Manager using dataLayer.  I want a breakdown of product name by device (or visa-versa).  I have set up the dataLayer variable with value transactionProducts.0.name (product name) and verified in GTM preview that it is being set correctly. I then set up a ProductName tag as:

• Product: Google Analytics
  • Tag Type: Universal Analytics
  • Category: {{Event}}
  • Action: ProductName
  • Label: ProductName
  • Value: {{ProductName}}
  • Fire On: Receipt Page 

In Google Analytics,  I can see an ordersuccess event category; this comes from the dataLayer:

dataLayer.push({

'event' : 'ordersuccess',

'transactionId' : '1234',

'transactionAffiliation' : 'Acme Clothing',

'transactionTotal' : 38.26,

'transactionTax' : 1.29,

'transactionShipping' : 5,

'transactionProducts' : products

});

Drilling down, I see Event Action: ProductName and Event Label: ProductName; I can't seem to drill down to the dataLayer value {{transactionProducts.0.name}} in the Recent Events page.   

If I can get the value, then I (hope) to cross-reference device by product name (though uncertain as to how).

Re: How to breakdown products by mobile device using dataLayer variable set in GTM?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is the problem that event values have to be continuous (e.g., numbers, date/time)?