Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to View Search Queries from Google Organic Searches?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On my site, a large percentage of traffic is coming through Google organic searches, but I can't figure out how to view the search queries that the visitors have typed on Google. In my Reports, I've tried going to Acquisition > Search Console > Queries, but it always shows no data. As expected, the AdWords > Search Queries view doesn't give me any insights because I'm not using AdWords. I used to be able to view the search queries a few months ago, but recent changes to Analytics has affected my ability to do so.

How can I view the search queries that people are typing into Google to get to my website?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Class H
October 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Class H
October 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

First you need to get a Google Webmaster Account, then link that account to your Google Analytics account.

Here is some information

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1142414

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1308617?hl=en&ref_topic=1308589

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1308621?hl=en&ref_topic=1308589

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Search queries died in 2011.

http://juliencoquet.com/en/2013/01/30/not-provided-is-here-to-stay-deal-with-it/?utm_id=tcen

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

True search queies died but search console was recently released which does the same basic thing, however if you have a web master account you can get the same data inside it with additional information such as crawl rate, links to your site, mobile usage, index status, crawl errors plus so much more. If you have the paid version of GA I have heard that the search console gives much fewer Not Set's. But I can not verify as I utilize the free version. Either way if you want to see results in the search console you need to have a web master account and link it to your GA account.

Again I do not use the GA UI over the years all the features I liked in the UI they have removed or changed to the point that it makes my job harder even the new changes coming to the UI in my case makes all the more to not use the UI but rather other products that give more control and allow me to match up data from many sources instead of just GA. It is all about BIG DATA at this point.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the insight, everyone! I was able to see search query data a few months ago, and I remember that I've implemented SSL on my website since then. I added the HTTPS version of my website to my Google Webmaster Account and linked it to Google Analytics, so we'll see if that works!

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll report back with how that works out!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for the help, Rising Star! After adding the HTTPS version of my website to my Google Webmaster Account and linking it to Google Analytics, I am now seeing the search queries again in the Search Console! This is awesome!

Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had the same issue and have taken the same action - how long did it take for the queries to start appearing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I believe it took only a day or so for us to see the queries start appearing again.