Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to Group Pages as One Entry in Behavior Flow?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to the Behavior Flow report, I know "Page A" on my site is popular as a 1st Interaction after the user arrives. By selecting "Highlight traffic through here" I see at a glance how many users convert (fill out a form) after clicking through to "Page A."

I'd like to group together temporarily "Page B" "Page C" and "Page D" as one entry in the Behavior Flow report so I can see how, as a group, users behave on the site after clicking those pages.

Would you point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chet D
June

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Chet, 

I have some helpful screenshots for this but can't add them for some reason. 

Let me try with text:

1. Instead of "highlight ... through here".. select "explore traffic..."  youll be taken to a clean view with just that node.

2.  click the pencil icon.  Now you can define your page grouping and rename it here.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo,

Thanks a ton for your suggestion! I can see that it is very close to working for me.

The only wrinkle is that in my case, the pages I want  to group together ("Page B" "Page C" and "Page D") are found in the (>100 more pages) groupings of the Behavior Flow report. So as far as I can tell, I can't select "Explore traffic through here" on those pages. I think I still need to identify a method to combine performance data for those pages before I can use either of the "Highlight..." or "Explore..." options.

Do you have a recommendation for dealing with this additional hurdle?

Thank you again!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Chet,

Just select any node for any page or group of pages and select Explore Traffic Through Here.  Once you click the pencil on the subsequent visualization you can change it to anything you want.

E.g. you can click on the /home node then redefine if to /widgets|/services|/aboutus  to include all of those sub-directories.  You can rename it at the same time.

Bottom line, you can pick any node, it does not matter.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Theo! You're exactly right and your solution worked for me brilliantly.

Regarding your example of /widgets|/services|/aboutus: 

Is there another piece of regex I could add to avoid matching to URLs which contain "widgets" or "services" or "aboutus" and also "scuba?" I still want to group URLs containing the first three pages, but now I want to eliminate from that group URLs which also contain "scuba."

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hey Chet,

Not really but I'd need to know more about your URL structure to offer help.  You can use a tool like RegEx Pal to fine tune your include pattern.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn