Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How to Create An Analytics Report on Paid Traffic with 404 Errors

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There, 

I went down to Behavior > Site Content > All Pages > Selected Page Title > Searched 404 > Added a Secondary Dimenson: Traffic Type > Selected the "404 Not Found" data with Traffic Type "Paid" > Added another secondary dimension "Campaign" to see if I could find any links within my AdWords account that were bringing people to 404 pages. Had some luck with the results but then I saw that there were other links that had "(not set)" indicated under the campaign column. 

I was just wondering what these links were if they weren't part of any campaign and why they were appearing under paid traffic. Could this be other landing pages that my paid traffic visitors are going to after clicking on my ads? Also, if a URL is listed on this page and has campaign info with it, does it necessarily mean that this URL is currently being used by an ad? I just wanted to know in case these were actually links I needed to update from within my current ads or not. 

Analytics Question - 1.jpg

Analytics Question - 2.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Angeli, 

A few things: 

#1 You should check out the landing page report and filter by source/medium or traffic type (Behaviour > Site Content > Landing Pages) to get a better idea where your paid campaigns are directing traffic. 

#2 (not set) traffic can be for any of a number of reasons: 

(a) It could be because your AdWords account is not linked with your Analytics account. 

(b) There is a redirect that is removing the UTM properties

(c) You have not enabled auto-tagging and there is no manual tagging 

(d) there is traffic from no "campaign" and is organic or direct and therefore not tagged. 

I looked at your screenshots and you have "all traffic" segment enabled, page as primary dimension and "campaign" as secondary dimension so this should include all traffic types paid and non paid which would explain the large amount of not set traffic. 

Let me know if this helps. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Angeli V
January 2017

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Angeli,

I guess you main goal is to analyze if any paid users are currently landing on the 404 pages. (I am assuming the Google adwords and analytics are linked properly)
- You can Go To Acquisition > Adwords > Camapigns. Apply secondary dimension 'Destination Url'. These would be the URLs which are being used (based on the date range) as the Cost data is associated to it.

If you want to check if any users who came through 'Paid' and are viewing any 404 page, 

- You can go to All Pages report > Create a segment with Include Users traffic type 'paid' > apply filter '404' page title. This will show the paid traffic users who visited the 404 page (not necessary in the same session but in the date range you selected)

Now, when the campaign parameter is not passed it displays as (not set). So the traffic sources which are not tagged like direct,organic,referral,etc or if the campaign cookie expires, it will display (not set). 

From the screenshot, I guess the paid filter might not be applied resulting in the (not set) from other sources
If it is applied, then those might be users whose came through paid and campaign cookie expired in subsequent sessions. 

Thanks,
Ritwik

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for the response, Ritwik. This is exactly what I was looking for. 

Ok so I reviewed my pages and saw that the links leading to 404 errors in the past 7 days are for campaigns that I paused last month. Why does this happen? 

Also, should I also apply a "Paid Traffic" segment when viewing the destination URLs under AdWords > Campaigns? 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Angeli,

Glad it helped Smiley Happy. So to answer your question:
- These users might be the returning users having those campaign cookies stored in them (default Campaign timeout is 6 months). You can also change it in Admin > Tracking Info > Session settings > Campaign timeout.

Also, if paid traffic means only google / cpc, then in adwords report you don't need to apply segments (applying will result in clicks and cost data to become 0), only apply destination URL as secondary dimension.

Thanks,
Ritwik