Analytics
4.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How should I be reading my Users report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I was looking at my Users report for a campaign and noticed this strange phenomenon. 

The report is a custom report, FYI. 

From the screengrab below, GA says that my total Users for that set of pages is 3,560.

Users_1.jpg

However, if I were to exclude the "/IO2735_Huawei_Manhattan_Nov16/staging/ms_phase2/" pages (see image below) the number of Users jumped significantly to 8,540. Doesn't seem to be a logical increase, does it? 

Users_2.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Daphne, 

It looks like - somehow - with your exclusion you've managed to duplicate the number of your users. 

You can see this in your 2nd screen shot when you look at the top summary of Users and you see the following "8,540 % of Total: 239.89% (3560) . 

Its looking at 239% of your data compared to your previous screenshot which is 100% of your data. 

Looks like you should discount the second report! 

Let me know if this helps. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, @Daphne L

You're report seems to be heavily sampled as it's based on 6.5% of sessions. This sampling could affect nubers in your report dramaticaly given that 0.5% variation in sampling for different reports could count up to thousands of users.

Try using shorter date ranges to get more accurate data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Josh!

I only noticed this when you pointed it out. Looks like you are right about the second report Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

My pleasure! Smiley Happy

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’