Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How is the geolocation detected from mobile users?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'dd like to know how the geolocation of mobile users is detected in Google Analytics. I have some assumptions on how it could work, but would love to know for sure. Is there any official documentation on this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How is the geolocation detected from mobile users?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Leon,

As far as I know, there is not too much official information on geolocation issues by Google. There are some experiments [1] showing that generally mobile geolocation is still way less accurate than desktop geolocation. I think it really depends on how important that information is for Google and its advertising business and how much Google is willing to spend to buy these mobile-network data from mobile providers. That could change at any time.

Christoph

[1] http://searchengineland.com/google-really-know-230001

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for the article. Although it is a helpful read, I'm not sure if it fully answers my question. It primarily talks about geotargeting of users in Google Adwords. I'm mostly interested in tracking users location through Google Analytics. Do you suggest we can assume the methods used are the same?

- Leon

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Leon,

Yes, we can reasonably assume that geolocation methods are basically the same both in AdWords and Analytics.

Christoph