Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How easy is it to change network domain to 'fool' GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I just got an extensive and a thorough visit on my business's website by a what appeared to be a 'government agency'. I have no reason to believe why they would look up my business or browse my website. 

The network domain they were using ends with a .gov and I am not sure if it indeed is that government agency or somebody 'pretending' to be them. I do have ex girlfriend who constantly browses my website. I do want to disclose the name of that federal agency but you might have gotten some idea by now. So my question is 'how easily could one alter their network domain and service providers' name to fool GA'..? 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

How easy is it to change network domain to 'fool' GA?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @el b,

Another consideration is that an employee that works at any offices that use the .gov network simply visited your website. The .gov actually covers hundreds, if not thousands, of different services. 

I think that is much more likely than any other explanation. A typical user is not going to easily spoof a domain. 

Kind Regards,

James