Analytics
3.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How does Google Analytics determine geographical location @ city level?

H H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
H H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I've been searching online to try and find out how Google Analytics determines location data at the city level and I'm not getting anywhere. I know it comes from an IP address BUT how does it calculate whether or not it is in a specific city? I'm curious about the parameters of a "city"? what information does Google acquire that then puts it into a specific "city"? is it zipcode? radius from an address? "city" boundaries are pretty specific so how does google know which city it assigns a visit to?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

You pretty much answered your own question - it comes from the IP address; more can be found here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6160484?hl=en

So, it's as accurate as the IP information is; which is why - particularly with mobile visitors - you can get some incorrect and confusing information. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

H H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
H H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess I still don't have an answer in my mind. If the location data is coming from the ISP provider - what information is google "pulling"? just the city? if this is the case then I'm wondering what the ISP uses to determine "city"? zipcode? longitude/latitude? and are either of these available through Google Analytics?

(trying to figure if I can link data downloaded from GA to GIS data ....)