Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How do User ID views handle sessions with pre-existing user IDs?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

So, about a week back, I created a new user ID view, coinciding with the public launch of a site I've been working on.

Prior to the public launch, my team and I ran a beta period, of about 1 month. I set up a user ID view for the beta, too; that view collected ~50 users (that is, the unique IDs we generated and sent to GA).

I have no idea if any of the ~50 beta users have ever (or will ever) revisited the site since the public launch, but if they do:

Would the beta users be added to the Users count in my public launch user ID view?

Thanks!

Zack 

Re: How do User ID views handle sessions with pre-existing user IDs?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
If you're sending User ID only for a logged in users beta users will not be counted unless they log in.

Re: How do User ID views handle sessions with pre-existing user IDs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for answering my question! And sorry for my delayed response; Last week was extremely hectic Smiley Happy

Just so I know I understand:

My Public Launch view's users count will always be the number of people who've logged in to my application since I created the public launch view even if those users had logged in before the view existed i.e. they first logged in to the beta.

I think I was expecting that the User IDs sent to Google prior to a view's creation wouldn't be recorded again in a new user ID view, so wouldn't show up in a newly created view (my public launch view), so I just want to be double-sure that I understand so I don't keep misinterpreting my data.

Thanks!
Zack