Analytics
6.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How do I view historical data for a subdomain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I assumed this would be a simple issue but it's turned out not to be so simple. I have 18 months or so of historical data and my tracked pages span two subdomains - www and store. In my "raw view" (no filters, etc) I can see all the data I need across both subdomains, so I am tracking OK.

I want to be able to analyze historical data for the store subdomain in isolation, including historical data. So, like many others, I have been disappointed to learn here that new views don't show historical data. Sigh...

With that accepted, let me step back and ask what is the best way to see this data and be able to review it in a way that is isolated from the rest of my data? I guess views are not an option so is there is a standard way to approach this (filters, segments, etc), in a way that allows me to switch back and forth - with the store subdomain and without - and also shows my historical data?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

How do I view historical data for a subdomain

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Not totally clear on your set-up but you can use a filtered report, for example, which will apply to whatever date range you use. A custom report where you use hostname could be one option. For example, hostname == store subdomain and then metrics could include sessions, users etc. You could analyse page views, referrals etc in a similar way.

You could use advanced segments on the standard reports, which includes the store hostname, but this will also include sessions where not just that particular hostname was visited. i.e. an advanced segment with the rule hostname == subdomain 1 will capture a session which included subdomain1 and subdomain2, data from subdomain1 and 2 would appear in your reports.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.