Analytics
6.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How can the segment 'Performed a search' bring that 50% of sessions used my site search?

[ Edited ]
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am a bit confused about this.

I am trying to understand what % of my sessions performed a search and then clicked on something.

First I was looking at the general % of sessions that use site search. Say that with the 'All users' segment Analytics says that around 12% of sessions use site search. How is it possible that if I use the segment 'Performed a search' and I go to Reports > Site Search I get that 50% of sessions used the site search? Shouldn't this segment bring only sessions that used my search functionality therefore 100%?

Also, why the number of sessions with search (that 12%) doesn't match with the sessions that I get when I use the segment 'Performed a search'? 554K (all users >Site search) and 1,2M (Performed a search segment > Audience Overview) or even with the 'Performed site search segment' > Site Search report that shows 544K

I hope it makes sense. If not I can attach screenshots

Thanks and Best Regards, A.

1 Expert replyverified_user

How can the segment 'Performed a search' bring that 50% of sessions used my site search?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi A,

Unless you have GA 360, you are getting sampled data.  Any segment, secondary dimension, or custom report over a date range that has more than 500k sessions (for most reports) will invoke user based sampling.   That is why you see a difference when segments are used vs not.

The data you seek is in site search overview.   In the scorecard, you'll see %search exits.  So if you have 20% then 80% did something after search.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your reply. 

I found that the reason why my segments were not showing 100% of sessions having performed a search (Behaviour > Site Search) even though I had within the segment that they had entered a search term. It was because the default 'Performed search' segment from GA, and therefore the copies I created were based in users not sessions. When I changed the segments to include sessions instead of users, the percentage of sessions performing a searched moved from 50% to 100%. Does anyone know why the 'Performed search' is by default based in users by the way?

However, the number of sessions that performed a search (Behaviour >Site Search) still don't match even if I look at 2 days' worth of data which doesn't sample it so I am wondering if my segments are wrong?

I still can't figure out if my segments pick sessions that have performed a search why the number of sessions in Audience > Overview and Behaviour > Site Search don't match... Anyone can help, please?

Thanks and Kindest Regards, A.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi A,

Ahhh you were using the system segment.. got it.  Yes some are user and some are sessions, good thing to check -- the system segment also uses sequences and is based on search terms used in an attempt to clean up poor implementations - which is odd and probably unnecessary. 

If you've copied the system segment, that MAY explain the difference.

GA keeps a session level dimension on whether or not a search happened which is (inexplicably) different than the weird system segment.  Try this segment and see how your session counts look without sampling:

https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=h42805kARsemZv4Miy9A4g

This uses the same criteria as the behavior report.

Hope that helps. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn