Analytics
4.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How can landing page views be higher than page views?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I had to set up custom reports to view metrics to "all pages" and "landing pages"

I have the highest precision set but pageviews for landing pages is nearly the same, sometimes more, than pages views for some of the pages.

For instance

Pageviews for the contact-us page is 4,020

Pageviews for the contact-us page as a "landing page" is 4,535

How can this be? They should at least be equal, right?

I can't compare this to a standard the landing page report because GA doesn't include pageviews as a metric for landing pages - which is why I had to create the custom report. 

D

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can landing page views be higher than page views?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Dave have answered this before:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Reports/How-can-landing-page-views-be-higher-than-page-vie...

But in short the pageviews include ALL the pageviews of that session that user started from that landing page (You can confirm this by creating an advanced segment: Landing Page equals contact-us). So all the pageviews after initial landing page pageview are counted to pageviews when it is combined to Landing page while when looking at Page it will show how many times the page has been loaded.

So if you want to know how many times contact-us page has been viewed as a first page you should use Entrances that you can find from Site Content -> All pages

Let me know if this solved your reporting needs. If not we will continue Smiley Happy
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.