Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How can landing page views be higher than page views?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In one of my reports I present 'page' page views next to 'landing page' page views. When the same URLs appear on both lists they never show the same count, but instead the landing page counts are always higher. I can't figure out how that is possible. Based on the short definitions it seems the page count ought to be the higher number. (I'm just learning, so I'm sorry if this question is too basic.)

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maria L
December 2015

Re: How can landing page views be higher than page views?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Maria
What you are seeing is completely normal.
Landing page visits is the number of times people landed on that page. The page views metric is the average number of pages a visitor visits on your site after landing on that page.

Hope that clears things up.

Re: How can landing page views be higher than page views?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave!
I'm still confused about this. I'm running "landing page" and "page" on unique page views. How can landing page be higher? Doesn't everybody who lands there at least views that page? Also, on "page" the numbers are around 100+, so it cant be the number of pages.
I just want to see how many people viewed that page (no matter if as a landing page or as a second or third page) which metric do I use? Thanks!!