AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How can I view the percentage of total sessions in which an event was triggered?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I'm trying to monitor how many of my visitors click a certain button on my site. I'd like to create a pie chart or table that shows what percentage of visitors engaged with the button, but it has proven to be outside the bounds of my current knowledge.

To clarify the goal, let's say that I have 100 total sessions. Out of these 100 sessions, 25 of them involved the user clicking on the button that I'm trying to monitor. In this situation, it would be great to have a pie chart on one of my dashboards that shows 25% of the whole pie (the total sessions) shaded out, representing the portion of sessions in which the button was triggered.

This is the closest I got to what I am looking for:

Image 005.png

The 0.69% is the number I am looking for, but I can't get it to appear on a table or pie chart correctly.

This is what the pie chart looks like:

Image 006.png

I think that I need to somehow change the metric to the percentage of total sessions, but I can't seem to find a way to accomplish that.

If you have any advice as to how I can do this, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

1 Expert replyverified_user

How can I view the percentage of total sessions in which an event was triggered?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

The reason the chart is whole is because there is only one entry in the table i.e. only one event category value. The moment there are 2+ entries the chart will split accordingly.

On a separate note, here are two ways of working out ratios based on your post.

1 - Export the data and do the calculation in Excel.

2 - Implement a calculated metric to have the ratio as a metric in GA. See link below.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6121409?hl=en

Let me know if the above helps.