Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How can I know if the 'www' visitors are showing on the 'non-www' stats?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if I'm seeing all of my stats in analytics. I made some changes a few months ago, with a re-direct—in my htaccess file—from:

www.starwarsage9.com/etc...

to

starwarsage9.com/etc...

And it works. I also made the non-www the 'preferred domain' in Search Console.

And... I *think* I made a 'Change of Address' from www.starwarsage9.com - to - starwarsage9.com, but I have no idea how to check that. Do any of you know what I should check or do about this, please?

Many thanks Smiley Wink

John

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can I know if the 'www' visitors are showing on the 'non-www' stats?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi John :-))

In GA, in the Property Settings page and for each View Settings page, check that the website URL is entered in without the www.
Make sure the Property Settings page is linked to the verified non-www domain within the Google Search Console
(both www and non-www should be verified)

I don't know if a change of address is necessary when redirecting from www to the non-www version of the same domain name,
it may be enough to ahve simply entered the preferred domain information,

For help with SEO related questions, which would include questions about submitting the change of address, it's best to ask on the
Webmaster Central Help Forum as they specifically deal with all things SEO and Search Console related.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Thanks
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,
Thanks for helping me again. I think it's all set up OK, from what I can see. All non-www in 'Properties' and 'Views'.

It looks as if the 'Properties' page is linked to the verifired non-www domain in the Search Console. And www and non-www seem to be verified in Search Console. When I click 'Verification Details', for each one, at the top of the resulting list it says 'Verification Succeeded' with a date and email address beside it.

Does that sound right to you?
Thanks,
John

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello there :-)))
Sorry for the delayed reply John, the community reply notifications havent been working correctly.

That all sounds correct from how you describe it. Only thing you need to do now, is to check if that change of address is necessary or if setting the preferred domain is the enough without the change of address as well

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here