Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How can I have traffic from Facebook under Social if I don't have a Facebook page?

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I find this very odd. I recently joined a company and been asked to produce some reports for the media team. Obviously I created a couple of them related to channels, one of them being the detail of what social sources bring traffic to the site. 

The interesting thing is that I've been told that we don't have any Facebook page or group so I wonder how it's possible that I have sessions coming through as Facebook<Social in the All Traffic >Channels report? Can anyone explain, please? I'm not talking about Facebook/Referral by the way, I'm talking of Facebook/Social.

Thanks in advance, A.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can I have traffic from Facebook under Social if I don't have a Facebook page?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You may be seeing UTM campaign tagging in links to your site. Google Analytics is tracking visits to your site, not your Facebook page or group. It might be coming from anybody's posting on Facebook, or it could simply be a tagged link anywhere on the web (they can enter anything for the UTM codes, making it look like it came from Facebook / Social).
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: How can I have traffic from Facebook under Social if I don't have a Facebook page?

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your message.

But isn't it UTM campaign tagging your own tagging? I'm not sure I'm understanding, do you mean that we create campaigns which Facebook users get hold of and use to access our site, please? Thanks, A.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That's a bit of a tangent...Facebook rewrites all the referrals it sends, so what you get is not a link to the actual page/post/share that it came from. They can rewrite it however they want, and it tends to change over time. You may be seeing Facebook/Social because that is how Facebook handles the 'thing' that linked to your page. It could be a mobile link from the app, of a comment someone shared in a group, or any number of other sources.

As for UTM codes, I know it doesn't make much sense, and it doesn't fit your situation, but I could create a link to your site and tag it with UTM codes to make it look like it came from my site...or Facebook...or anywhere else.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.