Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How UTM parameters work

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, i have 2 questions regarding utm usage, and the session count to have a better understanding how they work.

1) Every time I use a URL which includes a UTM code, this is counted as the beginning of a new session? So if I refresh a page which has a UTM code in the URL, this will count as 5 new sessions in GA?

2) If I have 30 minutes of inactivity, which I believe is the default session timeout in GA, activity after this is counted as a new session. But if the previous session used a UTM code, will ALL subsequent sessions where I access the site directly be attributed to this UTM code? I.e. all my browsing of the site in the following days and weeks until the cookie expires in 6 months, unless I access the site via another source (UTM code, social, etc)? That does not seem to make sense. Or it is only the current session which expires in 30 minutes that is attributed, in following sessions the attribution is reconsidered?

PS. Maybe you can explain me the difference utm vs non tagged urls? The non tagged ones still have that information about medium and source, so what for i need the tagging?

Thanks

How UTM parameters work

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I will try to answer.

1. everytime a url is hit with a new campaign source, it will start a new session.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en#campaign-based-expiration

2. Even if the session expires, the utm code is still used and attributed for future direct visits.

How UTM parameters work

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

How UTM parameters work

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for your reply, but im still curious why its better to store the information for the referrer for 6 months instead knowing that the user visits from now on our site only 'directly'.

How UTM parameters work

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

campaign expiry setting can be changed from Admin tab. it depends from case to case what is the right value depending on the business needs.

If you want a lesser value, please go ahead and change.