Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

How To Determine Missing Data Pieces?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having trouble figuring out where I'm missing data in my GA account and I'm not entirely sure how to build a report that will help me understand what's missing. If someone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Here're the details of the situation:

• I'm running an eCommerce implementation via GTM and my dataLayer isn't formatted correctly (we're working on fixing it, but it's going to take some time)
  • I had to build a custom dimension to bring my Product ID # into GA and I have to upload a flat file that I manually update with the Product Names to expose the product names in my reports. 
  • I don't have advanced knowledge of the product id's prior to a purchase, so every day I need to go into GA and see every purchase and determine if the Product ID has a corresponding Product Name. If it doesn't, I have to find out what the Product Name is and add it to my flat file so that I can upload it. 

Obviously, the speed at which I can determine Product ID's that don't have corresponding Product Names is integral to my data being accurate, but I don't know an easy/quick way to help me determine which Product ID's are missing Product Names. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of a report that I can build so I can easily see which Product ID's are missing Product Names?

TIA! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How To Determine Missing Data Pieces?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Eli,

Have you tried to create a custom report, flat table, that has the dimensions which you need? In a flat table you can have up to 5 or 7 (cant recall exactly) dimensions displayed at once. Alternatively, it sounds like you are using data join, so why don't you just upload all of the id's and names?

Have you considered -- as a temporary fix -- injecting script onto the receipt page to correct your dataLayer formatting issue? The script should close with a custom event that you would use as a trigger for your Ecom tag.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help Theo.

I built the flat table like you suggested, but I'm running into the same problem, which is this:

• If I only pull in only Product ID as a dimension, I get 100 records
  • If I pull in Product ID and Product Name as dimensions, I get only 25 records. 

What's clearly happening is that the Product ID's without correlated Product Names aren't showing. I've tried the same approach with pulling in the Transaction ID too to see if that will help. But it's not. 

Any other thoughts? 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Eli,

Interesting and sorry that didn't work for you but sounds like you have all you need to fill in the blanks. Have you considered just pulling the product id report then one with both dimensions and doing a comparison in Excel with vlookup?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theo. I was doing vlookup method and was hoping for something a little better.

You actually helped spark another idea that I think can work. In my upload, I can just include all potential Product ID #'s and associate it with a Product Name of TBD. I can then run a report for TBD and if a product sold that's not in my database, I can then add it.

Thanks!