Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Hostname

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I notice in my reports that under hostname I am seeing portmorevet.com separately from www.portmorevet.com. I also see that the bounce rates are higher for the former. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Julie S

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julie S
January 2016

Re: Hostname

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Julie,

Users are visiting your site both through the non-www and www versions.

You need to set up a 301 redirect to get the non-www domain redirected to the www version as they are treated as separate websites.

You also need to set the www version as your preferred domain.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/44231?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It did help thank you. I used network solutions to create my website so I'm guessing they would have to be the one to set up the 301 redirect?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Julie,

Yes, please contact network solutions, they should be able to help you with the 301 redirect.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I contacted them and this was their reply:
"With regard to your inquiry, a redirect may be needed if you are moving your Website to a new location or if you have multiple domains directing to the same top level domain. This would require incorporating a 301 redirect into your Website code, therefore, access to your Website files via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is needed.
Please be advised that the Website of PORTMOREVET.COM is hosted on an nsWebsite service. This service has no FTP capability. You will have to upgrade your site to one of our nsHosting packages in order to take advantage of this feature."
Is there any alternative to the 301 redirect?

Julie