Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Hits jump suddenly every week or so

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Every week or so, my page visitor count jumps from less than 5 (usually) to between 35 and 40. Anyone know what this means?users.PNG

Re: Hits jump suddenly every week or so

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Art,

it is hard to tell based on this screenshot only.

Could you please upload a screenshot of the report Acquisition --> All traffic --> Source / medium?

Best,
Gabriele

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Gabriele. Attached is the source/medium report.all traffic.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Art,

in general, this kind of traffic behavior (periodic and equal peaks, like in your case) are usually generated by automatic software, bots, and so on... or by fake data sent to your GA property for spam purpose (unfortunately this is a pretty common activity that started around last year and that many of the GA users are experiencing).

From the screenshot it seems that the first three sources are actually fake data sent from spammers.

The indicators are not normal values for some metrics, like bounce rate = 100%, new sessions 100% (something that is usually very unlikely, especially for a high number of sessions).

In your case, for the first source I can't be 100% sure from the screenshot (although is very likely that it is spam), but for the second and third sources this is surely spam.

Your three peaks in sessions could be related to this spam activity. To verify it, you can flag the first three sources and then click "plot rows" (the button under "primary dimension" that now is grayed out). If the plotted rows closely follow the peaks, this would confirm that the peaks are caused from the spam activity.

You can find more info and suggestions for spam removal here:http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/ (thanks @Nicky Y Smiley Happy).

Hope it helps!

Best,

Gabriele