Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Hits and Revenue from staging site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

Im having an issue at work and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Looking into the GA acc of one of my new clients Im seeing that they are not only receiving hits from their staging site but they are also receiving a significant amount of revenue from it!

I don't have any idea how this may be happening. I know I can filter out the staging site, but since theres revenue coming in I cant do that until I figure out how is it that this traffic is converting. Am I right?

This is a big non profit organization in NY. I already spoke with their IT dept and they say nobody from their end is making purchase tests.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Rafa

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Rafael, 

#1 Create a new filter for staging OR if you have an untouched, unfiltered view then consider maintaining it for when QAing when working on your staging environment. 

#2 Either (a) if you're using Google Tag Manager setup "Environments" to divide your Live version and your QA environment (see link below) or (b) create a filter for your "live view" the filters ONLY hostname of your live domains and excludes your staging subdomain. 

Environments in GTM: https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6311518?hl=en 

How to create a filter: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en 

Regarding counting conversions - i assume this is due to inflated metrics. 

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Joshua. I'm going to create the filter.

Regarding conversions, this is my main issue right now. Revenue results are too big for somebody who could be internally making purchasing tests and the client of course is demanding an answer.

My theory is that somehow one of their staff members accidentally shared a staging url within their newsletter? Is this something that sounds like a possibility?

Thanks again for your help.

Rafa

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Rafa, 

Is your view which is counting all of these purchases ONLY for staging or did you setup a special view for your staging section .... which would be complicated because every time you move from staging to production your staging view would receive live traffic. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Joshua,

The view is actually for the main domain, not the staging subdomain. When I see my referrals I get all of this revenue coming in from the staging site. I realized they didn't have htaccess in place so I made the rec and that's done now. Hoping this will fix it? If not the other thing I wanted to try was a noindex,follow tag. What do you think?

Thanks a lot.

Rafa